Monday, May 10, 2010

Live In The Sunshine - Short



I'm in the writing group on this website for moms, and every week they do writing challenges where you have certain words you have to use in the stories. I haven't been writing much lately, much to my own disappointment. So I took this as a personal challenge. "It took me two days (ridiculous!) but I finished it. I hope you enjoy it. :)
Feel free to leave me some love.


“I can’t believe I’m doing this.” I muttered as I switched off the car. My sneakers slapped against the pavement as I made my way into the novelty store.
“Hello there! Can I help you today?” A tiny woman came around the counter, her arms full of oddities. I picked up a rubber donkey from the shelf, squeezing it. It let out a loud bray and made the shop owner giggle.
“That one’s a good seller for the kids.” She looked me up and down as she placed items back on the shelves. “You don’t look like you need any rubber donkeys though, do ya?”
I looked down at myself. I must look like a fool, walking around down town in a prom dress, leggings and converse. I blushed slightly and tucked a few stray blond hairs behind my ear.
“Uh, yeah, someone told me you guys do balloon arrangements?” I picked at a scab on my arm, hoping no one would see me in here. I just wanted to get this over with. Why had I even agreed to this?
“Oh yes, we have lots of options. Come this way.”
Fifteen minutes later I exited the small shop with a handful of balloons and proceeded to fight them into my car.
“How the hell am I supposed to drive with these?” I batted and pushed at the balloons as I climbed into my car, taking care to keep my skirts out of the door. My cell phone blew up with the sounds of Mayday Parade.
“Hello? Nikki? Yeah, I bought the balloons. Yes, I’m in the dress. No, I don’t want to do this anymore. I don’t know why I agreed to this in the first place! You don’t know what he’ll say. What? When? Now? Shit. Bye.” I threw the phone onto the passenger’s seat and cranked the engine.
I couldn’t believe it. As if I wasn’t putting myself out on the line already, Cassie Peters had somehow found out about my little plan and was currently on her way to out me.
I gunned the engine of my little Prius and sped down the road. I had to get to Brody’s house before she could. My heart was pounding so hard I could feel it in my ears. My tires squealed as I turned onto his street. I slammed to a stop and fought with my seat belt. This was the last thing I wanted. I didn’t want to have to rush.
Balloons in hand I made my way up the pristine white walkway. I could hear laughter and music and felt a stone of ice drop in my stomach. I was going to interrupt a party. Sighing, I fluffed my hair and pressed the doorbell.
Before I was ready the door opened and there he was, Brody Tanner, in all his muscular glory. My mouth felt as if I swallowed a box of cotton balls.
“Oh, Jenni, hi.” Brody stared at me, a banana halfway to his mouth. “Is there something you needed?”
My mind blanked. I couldn’t think of any of my rehearsed speech. I opened my mouth but nothing came out. I must have looked like a freak, standing before him in a prom dress with balloons and a tiara.
“Umm…nice dress.” He looked me up and down, a smile tugging at his lips.
“Uh, thanks. I, uh, Brody…I…I was wondering…If…Do you have a cat?” I slapped my hand over my mouth. Why was I being so stupid? I shook my head, trying to ignore the tingling inside my nose.
“Umm, yeah. I do. But you didn’t get all dressed up to ask me if I had a cat, did you?” He leaned against the door frame, his blue eyes sparkling.
I stared into his eyes, feeling something well inside of me. Courage.
“Brody, I was wondering if…ACHOOO!”
I couldn’t stop it. There was no way. If I’d tried my head would have exploded.
I stood there in horror, my nose twitching. I’d done it now. I’d sneezed all over a dream boat.
“I…wanted to ask you to prom.” I said lamely, lowering my eyes and preparing for rejection.
Needless to say, I was shocked when I heard laughing. I looked up to find him, eyes closed in glee, hand against his well defined abs, laughing away. All I wanted was a hole to open up and swallow me whole.
“Well, thanks.” I turned and walked down the pathway, berating myself the whole way.
“Jenni! Wait!”
I turned, wondering what more humiliation was in store.
“Jenni, I would love to go to prom with you.”
A grin split my face as Brody reached up and cupped my cheek. His eyes sparkled as he lowered his lips to mine. I was sure fireworks must be exploding out of my ears. Numbly I heard soft cursing and the slamming of a car door.
Beat ya Cassie.
I grinned to myself and fell headlong into the kiss of the century.

No comments:

Post a Comment